- Milan offer rejected after contract talks collapse
- Veronique Rabiot pushes son towards 馬賽 stay
- Midfielder refuses apology for Jonathan Rowe clash
The Rabiot saga has taken a dramatic twist, with an unexpected decision threatening to reshuffle the cards entirely. After fighting with Jonathan Rowe in the wake of their first 法甲聯賽 match of the season, the French midfielder was banished from the squad and placed on the transfer list. A reunion with Massimiliano Allegri at AC米蘭 emerged, but La Gazzetta dello Sport reports talks broke down on Thursday morning. Milan had offered a two-year deal worth around €6 million per season, but the proposal failed to satisfy the midfielder’s representatives.
Instead, he is dreaming of returning to Roberto De Zerbi’s side and Veronique Rabiot, his mother and agent, is now pushing for him to remain at Marseille. The development marks a striking U-turn given her firm opposition to that very outcome only weeks ago. This change of direction doesn’t erase past tensions as she had fiercely criticised president Pablo Longoria, sporting director Medhi Benatia and De Zerbi.
“He was so happy to be here, but in the end, they treat him like an outcast, like a bad guy,” she said. “To think we’ve never seen this is crazy. When Greenwood signed after hitting his wife, De Zerbi said we could give him a second chance. I agree with giving people second chances, but is it only my son who doesn’t get a second chance? I assume he doesn’t owe OM anything because he paid in advance. It’s OM who should thank him and not disrespect him.”
The 1-0 defeat at Rennes caused a major stir inside the Marseille dressing room. Rabiot’s clash with Rowe led management to drop both players. Rowe was swiftly sold to Bologna, while Rabiot’s name was pushed onto the market, with 意甲 appearing his next destination.
Yet the situation shifted dramatically on Saturday, following Marseille’s 5-2 victory over Paris FC. De Zerbi, previously firm in his stance, surprised everyone by softening his position and opening the door to Rabiot’s reinstatement.
“I haven’t spoken about it yet with Pablo Longoria or Medhi Benatia. But even if he made a mistake, I hope, and not only for the value of the player, but also for that of the person, that there are the conditions to repair things,” De Zerbi said, stressing that he was not one to permanently condemn a player.
“I am not the person who closes the doors, on anyone. I am not the only one to decide. On the contrary, it is first and foremost the club more than the coach who must decide. But I extend my hand to everyone. If I can help resolve this matter, I am ready to do anything. Not for the player, but for the person and for the good of all. On a human level, even more than on a football level. This week, I think Pablo, Medhi and I suffered more than Adrien and his family.”
Before considering his return, Marseille’s hierarchy are demanding an official apology. According to Gazzetta the club are awaiting a written apology from Rabiot and his entourage.
For now, the situation hangs by a thread. Rabiot, long expected to depart, could yet remain on the Canebiere. If confirmed, it would mark a stunning twist in an already unpredictable transfer window.
Additional reporting by Patrick Tchanhoun.